Sometimes you need a little more than a basic mountaineering axe. The Cassin X-Light is a transformer axe that lets you customize your tool for the route. If you’re not sure of the anchor situation and might need to pound a piton, the hammer head is perfect. If you might encounter some blue ice, swapping the handle for an X-Dry grip turns it into a serious ice tool. Designed for light and fast technical ascents, the axe is a little extra insurance on dicey skimo routes like those found on the Grand Teton. The X-Light is possibly the only good hybrid of a standard mountaineering axe and full-on ice tool.
- Mildly curved shaft can be used as a cane or to climb mild technical ice.
- Three different head configurations (adze, hammer, pick only) let you adapt to the route.
- Included X-Alp grip has a soft hand for good grip when used as a basic pick.
- Optional X-Dry grip adds a little more hand clearance for steeper technical ice.
- T-rated chromoly steel pick is strong enough for piercing ice and self-arrest.
- 7075 aluminum shaft is super light while also being T-Rated as CE-UIAA type 2.
- Carabiner holes at the head and spike accommodate any leashes or lanyards.
- Included X-Trigger pommel can be adjusted without tools so you can switch to/from plunging.
- Stainless steel adze and hammer securely plug into a hot-forged aluminum head.
- Pick does not have teeth near the shaft to avoid glove damage when used as a cane.
- Steel spike is easily replaceable so you can use the axe for years to come.
||Chromoly & stainless steel, 7075 aluminum shaft|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Usage||Fast technical ascents|
|Notes||Adaptable to different routes|
|Bottom Line||Light & versatile tool|
|Compare to other Ice Axes|
Questions & Reviews
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.