Pronounced “energy”, the NRG pack from Crazy Idea is anything but crazy. Non-garish colors, a full checklist of features, and an affordable price make the pack very sensible for skimo racing or light & fast ski mountaineering.
- Ski carry system that can be used without taking the pack off your back.
- Durable ripstop nylon feels like it will last longer than some others.
- Side crampon pocket for quick access to crampons or an extra layer.
- Mesh shoulder straps and back keep the air flowing while you’re running hot.
- Should strap unbuckles so you can slide on a water bottle holder.
- Storage area and loop for partner tow, though no line is included.
- Dual ice axe holders are great for technical approaches.
- Internal supports and shoulder feed for hydration sleeves.
- Built in whistle so you're race legal in Europe.
Note the ski carry system holds skis with tails up to about 130mm, but could be lengthed by changing the elastic cord. The adjustable wrap-around shoulder strap is very long to accommodate wide tips and the attachment clip is easy to operate.
|Access||Top & side|
|Hydration||Sleeve & strap-holder compatible|
|Ski Carry||Loop & clip|
|Shovel / Probe||Internal straps|
|Ice Axe||Two cords and velcro loops|
|Team Tether||Compatible, tow line not included|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Usage||Racing, speed mountaineering|
|Notes||Nicely adjustable ski carry system|
|Bottom Line||Solid, feature complete pack|
|Compare to other Race Packs|
Questions & Reviews
Otherwise, it efficiently everything one wants a large race pack to do. It also is my most comfortable summer hiking pack. I do wish it had two belt pockets though, instead of one. On longer days I add another slide on pocket to the waist belt.
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.