We search the world far and wide for skimo packs. Lo and behold, one just turned up in Colorado! Made by veteran backpack company Osprey, the Kode Race 18 is a local take on racing. Of course, locals now do it just like the rest of the world with plenty of ISMF sanctioned races. As such, you can find all expected features on the new, affordable Kode:
- Diagonal loop-and-hook ski carry system can be used without taking off the pack.
- BioStretch™ body wrap harness has wide mesh shoulders for a secure, comfortable fit.
- 30 denier siliconized nylon is light, slick, and has an ample amount of rip-stop.
- Mesh stretch pocket on the side is good for skins or some backup hydration.
- ToolLock™ ice axe holder is an adjustable bungee system that secures your sharps.
- Quick-access crampon compartment is accessed via Velcro from the side.
- Crampon compartment can be joined with main compartment for bigger space.
- Die-cut foam backpanel is a smooth, breathable mesh to help keep you cool.
- Adjustable and removable sternum strap is stable yet provides for lung expansion.
- A hipbelt made of 15mm thick webbing features Osprey’s ErgoPull™ buckle system.
- Two mesh gel pockets on the shoulder straps avoid unnecessary fueling stops.
* Note the ski carry loop fits about any ski, tested with 125mm tails with room to spare. It can also be stowed by attaching it to some Velcro at the bottom of the shoulder strap.
|Access||Top & side|
|Hydration||Hydration sleeve compatible|
|Ski Carry||Loop & hook|
|Shovel / Probe||Internal slots|
|Ice Axe||ToolLock bungee system|
|Stash Pockets||2 mesh shoulder|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Notes||American skimo pack|
|Bottom Line||Nice pack with Osprey guarantee|
|Compare to other Race Packs|
Questions & Reviews
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.