We like simple gear because it’s easier to use with cold hands, in a daze of calorie-debt, in the middle of a storm, or under the light of a headlamp. Plus, with no moving parts, there is almost nothing to break. Petzl’s Reverso 4 is a classic example of a simple piece of equipment that does its job and does it well. Capable of rappelling and belaying leaders or followers, this belay device weighs only 59g. Deep V-shaped friction channels provide precise braking power on even skinnier rope, but it also quickly relieves applied load while taking up slack in a belay. As one of the more versatile belay devices on the market, the Reverso 4 is the latest iteration of a Petzl icon and might just become a collector’s item with its snazzy colors.
- Capable of rappelling, belaying a leader, bringing up 1-2 followers (Reverso mode), or even top roping.
- UIAA Certification meets the gold standard criteria for climbing and mountaineering gear.
- Gray, violet, and green allow you to customize your kit with a functional piece of flair.
- Best used on half and twin ropes down to 7.5mm or a single rope down to 8.9mm.
- Quick transition from Reverso to belaying the leader for swapping leads.
- Hot forged aluminum body keeps weight down and durability up.
Questions & Reviews
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.