Ultimate Direction packed everything you need for ski touring and mountaineering into the Skimo 28 vest. It is one of the most full-featured packs out there, with access from the top, bottom, side and back. Avalanche gear has a special compartment with probe sleeve that you access from the bottom. A crampon side-door lets you stash ‘pons or anything else. Back-access lets you cushion your back with clothing layers or skins which you might want close to you for warmth. The top-corner zip opens to the biggest area for everything else. Oh, and don’t forget all the storage in front, since this is an Ultimate Direction vest after all. Hydration, fuel, camera, clinometer, you name it, all within reach. The Skimo 28 is a marvel of athlete design, and you’ll likely see some on the Grand Traverse and the Grand Teton.
- 100D Triple rip-stop nylon is light, breathable, and durable.
- Back-access pocket for layers, skins, or a hydration reservoir.
- Side-access crampon box is gusseted for easy closure alignment.
- Bottom-access zip for avy gear with drain holes to manage water.
- Multiple quick-carry ski and snowboard systems add versatility.
- Mesh pockets on the hip belt are great for camera and food.
- Two ice-axe holders means full support for technical missions.
- Flask sleeve on the front along with gel and stow pockets.
|Size||Chest (in)||Chest (cm)|
* Measure your chest with your clothes on. Round up if you plan on packing the vest full.
|Access||Tip, bottom, side, back!|
|Hydration||Front flask, 3L reservoir|
|Ski Carry||Race hook or wrap, A-frame, snowboard, partner carry|
|Shovel / Probe||Bottom access w/ drain holes|
|Ice Axe||Two loops and bungees|
|Stash Pockets||Two hip belt, 2 mesh strap, 1 zip, plus flask|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Usage||Long races or BC missions|
|Notes||Access from every direction|
|Bottom Line||Max features, minimal weight.|
|Compare to other Backpacks|
Questions & Reviews
I was wondering if you figured out a good way to carry a helmet on the pack?
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.