Despite being disguised in Fischer colors, astute racers might recognize the new Tour Race binding. If not, here’s a hint: it’s the ATK SL-R. Yes, the lightest binding available in the North America now comes in Fischer yellow, perfectly matching the new AlpAttack ski. With a familiar lineup of available adjustment plates, crampons, replacement forks, and other accessories, the Tour Race will fully support you on your way to the top (of the podium or mountain). Even though it only weights 116 grams (4.1 oz), the Fischer Tour Race is as bomber as race bindings get, with higher release values and a very stable feel.
- Toe piece with fully locked out and ski modes is strong enough for heavy racers.
- Heel rotates (and stays) 90 degrees in either direction, using a ball-in-cup mechanism.
- Replaceable titanium forks are treated to resist notching and ease step-in.
- Simple flap over heel pins is the basic method of switching modes.
- Smooth nylon bearing in the toe lever makes for slick transitions.
- Backed by Fischer's rock solid 4 year warranty on alpine bindings.
Compare otherRace Bindings
|BSL Adjustment||Optional plates|
|Riser Heights||1 + flat|
|Materials||Hardened titanium, aluminum, polymer|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Usage||Heavy or aggressive racing|
|Notes||Mount back to enable flat mode|
|Bottom Line||Lightest & strongest|
Questions & Reviews
The major caveat for lightweight skiers: the effective lateral release value is at least somewhere in the low double digits (in contrast to a typical high single digits for the competition), and probably ditto for the forward release.
The flip side of this caveat is a major benefit for any heavier skiers who are wary of the release values being too low on competing models.
For more details, since my experience is with the rebranding of exactly this same binding as the Hagan ZR, check out the Skimo Co listing for that.
(Although note that since the red & silver color scheme on the Hagan ZR is very slick, the black & gold color scheme on the Fischer version must be maxing out the bling factor for skimo bindings!)
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.