Now with trauma protection! That’s the difference between this “Protection” version and Mammut’s original Light Airbag system. Look closely at the shape of the deployed airbag. The Light Protection system wraps around the sides of your head and upper torso, giving some cushioning should you careen sideways into a tree or other obstacle. It may not be the most pleasant feature to think about, but when time slows down as you get swallowed in a slide, you’ll have a few extra moments to think of your children instead of why you didn’t get splurge for the extra trauma protection in your airbag.
Gruesome thoughts aside, this Mammut airbag pack carries well and has a dedicated pocket for storing your shovel and probe. The diagonal ski carry system also works with snowboards, while the aluminum frame and lateral compression straps improve the stability of carrying either. The pack is rounded out with a gear loop on the hip and even an ice-screw holder point. The Mammut Light Protection Airbag is a well-rounded safety companion for backcountry skiing.
- Protection Airbag System 3.0 offers float with bonus impact resistance.
- 30 liter capacity is distributed in a balanced way to not impact your skiing.
- Thermoformed back panel feels great when fully loaded with skis attached.
- 150 liter airbag fills in 3 seconds to help you float to the top of a slide.
- Padded hip belt can be detached and has a quick access pocket.
- Ice axe or pole attachment adds versatility to your missions.
- Hydration system compatible.
||2823g [with canister]
2217g [without canister]
|Access||3 front pocket|
|Hydration||Hydration hose outlet|
|Gear Loops||Ice ax loop|
||Cordura 210D Double Ripstop/Polyamide 330D Ripstop|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Usage||Ski touring in avalanche terrain|
|Notes||Airbag wraps to the sides of your head and torso|
|Bottom Line||A good mix of lightness and protection|
|Compare to other Airbag Packs|
Questions & Reviews
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.