The Gara Aero pack from Ski Trab is uniquely designed skimo pack that has an integrated hydration system. If you prefer to drink water from bags, you will want to check out this pack's included two liter sleeve with a hose that slides neatly through the insulated left shoulder strap to a bite valve with a shut off switch. It has a dedicated internal compartment and is securely fastened at the top of the inside of the pack so your life blood is always flowing downhill. Also included are the checklist features of a modern ski mountaineering pack:
- Integrated ski carry system can be used without taking off your pack, with velcro to stop the strap from dangling when not in use.
- Side access crampon pocket with zipper gives you quick-yet-secure access to your crampons, jacket, or backup watter bottle.
- Two top access zips help you keep avalanche gear and other items organized.
- Comes with a wide-mouthed hydration bladder (144g) in its own compartment and a hose that runs through the shoulder strap.
- Ice axe holder consists of a loop of static cord on bottom and elastic cord on top with an adjustable buckle to fit any length axe.
- Upper elastic cord can also be used to carry skis diagonally if that's what floats your boat.
- Bonus zipped side access pocket on the left has a mesh expansion system that can hold skins or a big sandwich.
- Plastic sheathing lines the lower ski carry loop to keep it open wide and quickly accept skis with tails up to around 130mm.
|Access||2 top and 2 side|
|Hydration||Integrated bladder included|
|Ski Carry||Sheathed loop and cord w/ pull tab|
|Shovel / Probe||Toss inside|
|Ice Axe||Loop and buckled elastic cord|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Usage||Racing & touring|
|Notes||Nice wide tail loop on ski carry system|
|Bottom Line||Well-designed features complete with bladder|
Questions & Reviews
Other than living with the fact that this pack might fail in the midst of a race (and it would be my fault as Im too cheap to replace it prior to failure!) it works fine and carries everything you need for a race plus a few extras you might want for backcountry days like lunch and a puffy.
One more thing, the bladder it comes with (or at least mine) leaked like a sieve. Attaching one Camp water bottle holder to a shoulder strap is easy and a better bet. If you want a second bottle holder, you kind of have to jerry rig it.
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.