Ski mountaineering compounds the risks of typical backcountry travel. With the potential for falling rock and ice, steep terrain, and all sorts of rope shenanigans, keeping yourself safe involves finding a great helmet. Protect your head from the unexpected with the Black Diamond Vision MIPS helmet. The Vision uses a classic dual-foam construction to ensure daily durability as well as shock absorption. Borrowing technology from the crash-intensive worlds of horseback riding and mountain biking, the MIPS Low Friction Layer disperses rotational forces resulting from blows to the head, lowering the amount of force transferred to the brain when trauma occurs. All that fancy jargon means that your noggin will be safer if you wear the Vision.
- A protective EPS (expanded polystyrene) foam puck sits atop the crown, protecting against vertical impacts (e.g. rockfall).
- Durable EPP (expanded polypropylene) foam makes up the front, sides, and rear, protecting from side impact (e.g. crashes).
- A large hard plastic outer shell covers the impact-absorbing foam beneath, protecting the foam from dings and dents.
- Two clips on the front and an elastic band on the back of the helmet hold headlamps securely in place.
- Interior pads can be removed, saving you time and making helmet cleaning easy.
- This helmet meets proposed UIAA impact safety standards, as well as the EN 12492 climbing certification.
|Certifications||EN 12492 (climbing)|
|Materials||Composite EPP foam, EPS foam puck and polycarbonate shell|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Usage||Climbing, ski mountaineering, ice climbing.|
|Notes||MIPS, a low-friction layer, slides 10 to 15mm in all directions, reducing rotational motion and damage if you have a collision.|
|Bottom Line||Uberlight helmet with safety in mind.|
Questions & Reviews
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.