While “warm” and “packable” seem like inversely related descriptors, the Karpos Lyskamm Evo Jacket is here to tell you otherwise. The secret ingredient in this warm and packable recipe is the PrimaLoft Gold Cross Core insulation that utilizes Aerogel, a revolutionary material developed by NASA for aeronautical applications. Compared to other PrimaLoft insulation, Gold Cross Core insulation is 50% warmer for the same weight, meaning you get both warmth and packability.
For maximum warmth, Karpos uses the Gold Cross Core on the front of the body and the top of the arms, which is where snow and precipitation tend to pile up. To help with breathability, Karpos decided to use Polartec Alpha, which is an exceptionally breathable insulation, on the back, the underside of the sleeves, and the hood. The end result of this union between two insulation types is a jacket that is quite warm and breathable, which for aerobic activities like backcountry skiing, is the holy grail.
Not having the bulk of an expedition-style puffy nor the slim fit of a next-to-skin layer, the Lyskamm Evo jacket occupies the middle ground, gladly fitting under a hardshell or over a baselayer without any fuss. The two internal pockets work great for skins or a soft flask, allowing both of them to remain unfrozen while the adjustable drawcord hem allows you to tighten the jacket, sealing out the elements.
The Lyskamm Evo has made waves amongst our staff and we’re sure it’ll become a “go-to” piece for you as well.
- Elastic trim at the end of the sleeves keeps things snugged up.
- Drawcord on the jacket hem allows you to seal the jacket to keep heat in and the elements out.
- Polartec® Alpha Contact fabric makes this jacket breathable without dumping too much heat.
- PrimaLoft® Gold Cross Core Insulation provides an exceptional warmth-to-weight ratio.
- Jacket can pack into its hood, allowing you to have an “impromptu” pillow if need be.
- DWR coating helps keep light precipitation out.
- Two internal pockets let you stash skins or a soft flask to keep them from icing up.
- Two front zippered pockets let you securely stash a phone, keys, or nutrition bar.
|Hood||Compatible with some helmets|
|Insulation||Polartec® Alpha Contact, PrimaLoft®
Gold Cross Core
|Lining||Nylon, Fleece on the back|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Usage||A breathable windproof and warm jacket for cold days in the backcountry|
|Notes||Gold Cross Core insulation has an exceptional weight-to-warmth ratio|
|Bottom Line||A warmer than you think for the weight jacket|
|Compare to other Men's Layers|
Questions & Reviews
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.