In recent years, ski mountaineers have been looking for that sweet-spot ice axe - one that is light and compact enough to bring along without much of a weight penalty but is able to confidently set a pick when things get spicy. The Akila is Blue Ice’s worthy entry into the, let’s call it, “swingable ultralight” category means it carries like a butterfly but swings like a bee. A Chromoly steel pick inspires confidence with sufficient heft and durability when you’re climbing a short ice step or bulletproof snow. The lightweight anodized aluminum shaft is curved to properly swing but still useful for self-arresting. Again, best of both worlds. A stainless steel spike keeps balance on the steeps and the adjustable, removable pommel allows you to dial in the perfect grip. The Akila is sure to become a lightweight go-to for skiers who don’t want to be weighed down when eyeing up big lines with technical approaches.
- Aircraft-grade anodized, sandblasted aluminum shaft is curved enough to party, but straight enough to self-arrest.
- Stainless steel spike provides sturdy support and eliminates concerns of snow clogging.
- Adjustable, removable, tool-free pommel enables on-the-go versatility.
- Steel head and pick are durable enough for technical sections.
- Compact for easy carry, either in or out of your pack.
- Conforms to the CE / EN 13089 type 1 ice axe certification.
- Sold individually in hammer or adze options.
||Chromoly steel head, aircraft aluminum shaft|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Usage||Ski mountaineering, high alpine skiing|
|Notes||Made in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc|
|Bottom Line||Supreme combo of lightweight technicality|
|Compare to other Ice Axes|
Questions & Reviews
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.