La Sportiva tried selling racing suits in North America a few years ago. Unfortunately the suits were too awesome for the nascent local market, which couldn’t stomach the nearly $600 price tag. Not a company that accepts failure, La Sportiva has managed to produce almost-as-awesome suits (just missing the previously included hood and gloves) at a *much* better price.
The Syborg Racing Suit features a reasonably warm lycra weave that, combined with the darker color, makes it feasible to wear by itself. It has all the race suit features you’d expect:
- Boot buckle cutouts on the cuff will save you from fumbling with pants during transition.
- Large front skin pocket is a must have feature so you don’t have to remove your pack.
- Water bottle pocket keeps your hydration close to you for quick access and to prevent freezing.
- Seams are sewn flat and reinforcements can be found in the shoulders to resist pack wear.
- Zippered transceiver pocket has outside access just in case the unthinkable happens.
- Zippered fly has outside access just in case the thinkable happens.
- Internal pockets keep you organized for the long journey soon-to-be behind.
- Discrete pocket sewn into the collar to store external headlamp batteries.
Update 2016/17: The suit has a new, faster color scheme.
|Pockets||Outer skins, bottle, & transceiver; two big inner front pouches|
|Cuffs||Boot buckle cutouts + stirrups|
||Polyester, nylon, polypropylene, spandex|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Usage||Racing, efficient touring|
|Notes||Both vertical & horizontal boot buckle cutouts|
|Bottom Line||Fully functional black & yellow|
|Compare to other Men's Race Suits|
Questions & Reviews
I just went and took some measurements for you. This is how the XXS measured: The Torso length was around 24 inches, the sleeve was around 28.5 inches, and the inseam was around 29.5 inches. If you have further questions, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
None of our one-piece suits have that feature. If you would like that kind of versatility, I recommend that you check out a two-piece suit such as the Crazy Idea Hugo Suit or the Utah Skimo Race Suit.
A few details observations:
- The 2016/17 version appears to be available both with and without the exterior zippered pocket. The Skimo Co version is shown as having it, but some other etailers appear to lack it.
- If you plan to compete in Europe at races with close gear inspections, then you'll need to add a zipper to the interior beacon pocket with the flap-style closure, as the exterior zippered pocket doesn't meet the new rule. (Sounds like only Plum suits comply with this: "From season 2016-2017 dva will have to be worn in a closed pocket (zipped lock only) opening on the inside of the racing suit, and at the belly level" ... which must be keeping European seamstresses busy!)
- The zippered fly is diagonal. Perhaps this is intended to help when wearing a harness for towing a partner in two-person team races? Or perhaps it's just that you can marvel at the novelty of a diagonal zippered fly?
- No hood, but very few suits have that now. Otherwise, this suit pretty much has it all.
- "Update 2016/17: The suit has a new, faster color scheme." The color scheme indeed adds some flashiness to the more basic bumblebee black & yellow colors of my older Syborg separates, but after multiple time trials, I have yet to be convinced that it's any faster!
(I had just thought it was an interior divider of the kangaroo-style skin pouch on the right, and didn't notice until today the zipper access -- very clever design upgrade!)
Are the heel stirrups meant to go underneath the sole of the boot? Seems like a stretch for the fabric though I am trying to figure out the best fit for a pair of aliens.
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.