With the third design-iteration from Mammut, the removable airbag system is the most reliable yet. It centers around refillable compressed air cartridges that are capable of filling a 150-liter airbag in less than 3 seconds. A large “T” deployment handle is easy to grab and now can be adjusted to the height of a skier. The handle folds down for stowing in the shoulder strap for travel through non-avalanche terrain. The airbag itself is an extremely tear-proof nylon produced with technology from the automotive industry. The Mammut removable airbag system is light, reliable, and flexible in its use with various backpacks.
- Airbag 3.0 is 150 liters to help push you to the surface in a flowing avalanche.
- Lightest system yet weighs only 700g alone, plus another 700g for a full cartridge.
- Tried-and-tested “T” handle can be used with gloves/mittens and is bright orange.
- Screwing in the cartridge tensions the spring mechanism, enabling a deployment.
- Deployment mechanism and amplifier are integrated into one high strength housing.
- Flexible TPU pull shaft mean you can pull in various directions while tumbling.
- System is compatible with various packs for lift-served and backcountry skiing.
- Cartridges use compressed air and can be refilled with a SCUBA tank or similar.
- Available protector reduces the chance of an ice axe puncturing the airbag.