We like simple gear because it’s easy to use with cold hands, in a daze of calorie-debt, or under the light of a headlamp. Petzl’s Reverso is a classic example of a simple piece of equipment that does its job and does it well. Capable of rappelling and belaying, the Reverso weighs only 57g. Deep V-shaped friction channels provide precise braking power on skinnier rope while also quickly relieving applied load when taking up slack in a belay. Get the latest iteration of a Petzl icon and you won’t be disappointed.
- Capable of rappelling, belaying a leader, bringing up 1-2 followers (Reverso mode), or even top-roping.
- UIAA Certification is the gold standard criteria for climbing and mountaineering gear.
- Best used with 8.5-10.5mm single ropes, 7.1-9.2mm half ropes, or 6.9-9.2mm twin ropes.
- Quick transition from Reverso mode to belaying the leader for swapping leads.
- Hot forged aluminum body keeps weight down and durability up.
Questions & Reviews
While the Rad line is often used with a munter hitch, it can be used with the Reverso for rappelling provided that you double up the belay carabiners - this will give more friction to the system for better control over the rappel. With one carabiner, it will not provide sufficient friction for good control of the descent.
If you ever need one for wider ropes, the original first generation (solid rather than cable loop) is pretty sweet.
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.