We like simple gear because it’s easy to use with cold hands, in a daze of calorie-debt, or under the light of a headlamp. Petzl’s Reverso is a classic example of a simple piece of equipment that does its job and does it well. Capable of rappelling and belaying, the Reverso weighs only 57g. Deep V-shaped friction channels provide precise braking power on skinnier rope while also quickly relieving applied load when taking up slack in a belay. Get the latest iteration of a Petzl icon and you won’t be disappointed.
- Capable of rappelling, belaying a leader, bringing up 1-2 followers (Reverso mode), or even top-roping.
- UIAA Certification is the gold standard criteria for climbing and mountaineering gear.
- Best used with 8.5-10.5mm single ropes, 7.1-9.2mm half ropes, or 6.9-9.2mm twin ropes.
- Quick transition from Reverso mode to belaying the leader for swapping leads.
- Hot forged aluminum body keeps weight down and durability up.
Questions & Reviews
If you ever need one for wider ropes, the original first generation (solid rather than cable loop) is pretty sweet.
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.