Since the dawn of man - in regard to their interest in skiing - we've been asking ourselves how great life on the mountains would be if we had foldable skis. Apparently, the folks at Elan answered that question by coming out with a pretty neat setup in the form of the Ibex Tactix Carbon. No need for a roof rack or worrying about whether to cross-carry or A-frame on your pack, these skis are the most packable ski you'll ever find. Reinforced with a steel plate that aids in its foldability, the Elan Ibex Tactix Carbon skis feature a fully adjustable heel piece to fit a range of boot sizes. The coolest part is that these skis come with their own set up: we're talking ski crampons, skins, three-section telescoping poles, and G3 Ion 12 bindings already on the ski! This is a military grade ski model made in the alps of Slovenia. A monoblock, laminated wood core, and fiberglass layup make this ski damp with great edge hold. Why would anyone need folding skis, you might find yourself asking? One advantage is that folding skis facilitate climbs that require the use of ice axes allowing the arms to swing freely overhead. Classical skis strapped to a backpack tend to snag on rocks, overhanging trees, or even the slope itself can be an issue when you start getting extremely vertical. Folding skis immediately resolve all these issues! Just when you thought you had all the toys, along comes the Elan Ibex Tactix Carbon.
- Highly maneuverable ski with a fully adjustable binding setup to fit an enormous range of boot sizes.
- Carbon plate that rotates 180 degrees adds rigidity to the ski when in downhill mode.
- Set up from uphill to downhill mode takes approximately 20 seconds to fold and extend.
- Fully extended, the skis measure 163 centimeters and fold down to only 90 centimeters.
- Feature an ION 12 Demo binding.
- Each ski/binding combo weighs in at a respectable 2.79 kilograms.
- Bridge Technology length-wise reinforcement ensures edge performance without resulting in an overly stiff ski.
- Tubelite Wood Core replaces part of the core with two 5mm carbon tubes for added power at a reduced weight.
- Includes three part telescoping poles, skins, ski crampons and two ski ties.
|Weight (pair)||5580g |
||Tip loop, notch in tail for tail clip|
||Rockered tip, camber underfoot, flat tail|
||Rounded scoop tip, flat rounded tail|
||Laminated wood core with monoblock construction|
||Laminated wood core|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Notes||Folds up, fits in your trunk|
|Bottom Line||Foldable ski|
|Compare to other Low-fat Skis|
Questions & Reviews
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.