When diverse sports like skiing progress, the gear often lags behind the trends and is outdated by the time it’s introduced. Luckily, there are a few companies like Karpos that have their ear to the ground and are interested in the progression of ski-mountaineering. The Mountain pant is a protective pant for moving fast in harsh conditions. K-Shell fabric is a warm, wind-proof, and surprisingly supple softshell fabric that makes up the majority of the pant. Waterproof K-Dry fabric has been strategically placed to not impede range of motion and is found at the waistband, butt, and cuffs. K-Dry and achieves rarefied air with a 20,000mm rating in the water column test. To translate, that’s a seriously high level of waterproofing for a pant this agile and breathable. YKK Zippers and Cordura cuff panels will stand up to more than their fair share of abuse. The Mountain pant is designed for extended use and abuse in the mountains. Once you go Karpos, you never go back.
- Fabric is treated with a Durable Water Repellent (DWR) to keep you dry and clean.
- Two front pockets feature a minimalist zip and have enough space to house a beacon, phone, camera, or food.
- Two rear pockets are waterproof for holding maps or expensive lift tickets, but mostly maps.
- Zippered cuff allows easy access to boot buckles and a breathable gaiter seals out the elements.
- Elastic waistband features Velcro adjustment and belt loops for added versatility.
- Waterproof K-Dry Material passed the 20,000mm water column test.
Update 2017/18: The back of the waist is now straight (no high flap). See photo in Reviews tab.
Compare otherMen's Touring Pants
|Ventilation||Outer thigh vents with mesh insert.|
|Pockets||2 thigh, 2 waterproof rear.|
|Waist||Adjustable velcro tabs, belt loops|
|Cuffs||Zipper with internal gusset, plus internal gaiter.|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Notes||YKK zippers throughout.|
|Bottom Line||Weatherproof soft shell pant.|
Questions & Reviews
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.