The fatter and floatier brother to the Rise High 88, Volkl's new Rise Beyond 98 is a head-turning entrant to the category of high-fat, lightweight touring skis. Packed full of innovative technologies, this ski is equipped for the deepest and heaviest conditions, carving on corn or crud, and even mild alpinism should you feel so inclined. Full capped construction with a Tourlite Woodcore keeps the ski light while the VTA-inspired carbon tip further shaves off grams allowing for both excellent float, and non-grabby carving. A combination of a rockered tip that plows through anything from powder to mashed potatoes, underfoot camber that gives the ski impressive edge hold on hardpack, and a 3D Radius Sidecut that delivers a range of turn radii from agile quick turns to large sweeping race-style turns inspired Volkl to describe this ski as a "freeride touring" ski. However, don't let that deceive you as this ski is in fact much more. With an encouraging weight for the up and surprising and amazing turn quality on all kind of snow and slopes, combined with unrelenting responsiveness, we prefer to consider this ski a "do-it-all tool" for those entering the backcountry with big ambitions or simply looking for a lap or two before work. Like a German-engineered scalpel in the hand of a skilled surgeon, the Rise Beyond 98 will do exactly what you tell it to and how you tell it to as it cuts its way through anything. If you're looking for a quiver-of-one ski that is a superb ride anywhere and anytime, the confidence inspiring Rise Beyond 98 will exceed all of your expectations.
- Poplar, beech, and paulownia wood core (which Volkl calls their "Tourlite Woodcore") plus a carbon tip layup keep the ski lightweight.
- 3D Radius Sidecut makes this ski adept at turns of all sizes and speeds.
- Tip rocker and underfoot camber provide excellent float and edge hold with no "grabbiness."
- Volkl's Smart Skinclip lets you rip your skins from either the tip or tail - whichever you feel is easiest for the situation.
- A powerful, impressive, and just downright fun ski that could replace your current quiver.
- Precut skins to fit the skis perfectly, sold separately.
|Lengths (cm)||156, 163, 170, 177, 184|
|Weight (pair)||2460g 
|Turn Radius||14.6m 
|Skin Fix||Volkl's Smart Clip tip attachment, flat notched tail|
|Profile||Tip rocker, camber underfoot, slightly lifted tail|
|Shape||VTA style tapered tip, 3D Radius Sidecut, and tapered tail|
|Construction||Full length cap construction|
|Core||Tourlite Woodcore (beech wood underfoot with poplar + paulownia elsewhere)|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Usage||"Do-it-all tool" for those entering the backcountry with big ambitions|
|Notes||Much more damp than the previous VTA 98|
|Bottom Line||Volkl's best touring ski yet.|
|Compare to other High-fat Skis|
Questions & Reviews
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.