The Raider 13 Evo is ATK’s new flagship binding, and it’s ready to take you to the top of the mountain and get you down in just about any manner you desire. A couple of key features make it stand out from past models and the competition: automatic ski brake retraction and a toe release adjustment, respectively.
After testing for a season in Europe, ATK is releasing into the US the Evo brake system in lieu of the push-button mechanism found on other Raider models. Simply turn the heel 180 degrees when transitioning and an internal mechanism will do the rest. When heading uphill, step or push on the brake to make it auto-lock into place. At the top, spinning the heel again will auto-deploy the brakes so you’ll never forget. While you’ll no longer have the option of skiing with the brakes up, ATK makes plenty of brakeless bindings for that.
ATK also added lateral release adjustment in the toe of the Raider Evo series. This, to be clear, does *not* mean that the binding releases laterally at the toe like alpine bindings. Experienced tech binding users know that toes and heels work in conjunction during lateral release, evidenced by the fact that locking your toe effectively disables the release. The new lateral toe adjustment means that both are adjusted in unison which expands the range of release values available: in the case of the Evo 13 a whopping 5-13 adjustment will work for most backcountry skiers out there.
The new features combined with ATKs renowned precision machining makes the ATK Raider Evo 13 a supremely functional and reliable touring binding at a weight that is unmatched in the category. This is a gear choice you won’t likely come to regret.
- Exquisitely machined 7075 aluminum, POM, and stainless steel for a rock-solid build.
- Adjustable lateral and vertical release over a wide range of 5-13 due to toe spring adjustment.
- Optional freeride spacers support your heel while having a decent anti-friction mechanism.
- Evo autobrake system means no fuss transitions…the brakes lock and deploy automatically.
- Snowpack proof toe piece is relatively sealed to prevent dangerous snow creep under the wings.
- 25mm adjustment in the heel track so you can adapt to a few boots with one mount.
- Magnetic risers offer multiple climbing heights with a flick of your finger or pole.
- Cam release heel pins work independently for smooth step-in and vertical release.
- 14mm elastic travel in the heel means you won’t eject if you overflex your skis.
- Uphill Hardness Variator lets you tweak the toe tension for skinning.
|Weight (pair)||754g [97mm]|
||97, 102, 108, 120|
||2 + flat|
||Aluminum alloys, POM, stainless steel|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Usage||Free touring, general backcountry skiing|
|Notes||Toe adjustment offers a wide range of release values|
|Bottom Line||The "Evo"lved flagship ATK binding|
|Compare to other Full-featured Bindings|
Questions & Reviews
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.