When Golden State signed Kevin Durant in 2016, dub nation wondered if another superstar was what the team really needed. Many fans worried that management was trying to fix something that wasn’t broken, but in the end, this gamble would pay-off big time. The Warriors went on to win the NBA title back-to-back in 2017 and 2018, proving that the adage ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ isn’t without exception. Much like the Golden State fans who worried about the KD trade, we may have doubted Ski Trab’s decision to rework the original Magico (but only for the briefest of moments). Luckily, the Magico.2's are everything the original Magico's were, only better in every way. Ski Trab's insanely durable 14-layer Aramid construction remains the bedrock of the ski. The shape and profile have been updated to enhance the skiability without compromising any performance. Ski Trab added some rocker, widened and lengthened the tips (the ski measures ~2cm longer in the 171cm length), and altered the flex of the ski so turn-initiation is easier and the back half of each turn is rock solid. This updated flex pattern allows you to carve the wind buff at the top of the couloir, nimbly hop turn through the steep choke, and then float through the pow fields at the bottom without compromise. With a waist measuring somewhere in the mid-80mm range (depending on the length you buy), the Ski Trab Magico.2 is a magic(o) all-mountain ski, and is ready for almost any type of snow (like we said in the original Magico listing, show us someone who can ski breakable crust *well*. We're waiting).
- NoShock, a semi-soft barrier sitting between the edge and the core and which covers the tip and tail entirely, absorbs vibrations and provides stability.
- The sidecut and flex pattern of the Magico 2 were built in tandem with one another, and work together to help the ski feel stable and damp.
- With 10% flex underfoot and 20-30% flex in the tip and tail, you get the playfulness you want alongside the stable platform you need.
- HiConnect is an internal carbon bridge that spans the guts of the ski from edge to edge, ensuring torsional rigidity.
- Polymer inserts run lengthwise along the tip and tail, dampening vibrations and protecting the core of the ski.
- DuoTail splits the tail down the middle, providing extra sensitivity as you finish a turn without hooking.
- Sorry for the basketball reference, we do try to spice things up occasionally.
- Aramid honeycomb in the core provides an optimal strength-to-weight ratio.
- Ski Trab offers a 3-year warranty on this ski, which is made in Bormio, Italy.
Update 2021/22: Trab updated the graphics for the new season; construction remains the same.
|Lengths (cm)||157cm, 164cm, 171cm, 178cm|
|Weight (pair)||1980g 
||Control Progressive Flex; contact points moved out for longer tip/tail|
||Control radius technology; moved widest point of tip forward|
||14-layer Attivo process w/ HiBox carbon cage|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Usage||Mountaineering, speed touring in all conditions|
|Notes||New shape and profile will make for even easier turn initiation|
|Bottom Line||The Champion|
|Compare to other Low-fat Skis|
Questions & Reviews
I plan to come update the review once I have some more time on them. Looking forward to corn season!
I have some Trab Misticos, which you guys mounted for me with quiver killers and Salomon MTN bindings.
I am thinking of replacing the heel (only) of the MTN bindings with the Hagan Core Pro. I like the MTNs but I like the Hagans 100 times more.
Hole-center width*length will be going from 27 * 58 to to 45 * 60.
This will leave about 3 mm between the edges of the holes.
My question is, am I going to create structural problems in the ski with this 3 mm clearance? (I have an ATK jig, so the holes will be in the right place!).
If you are looking for a Spring ski or an all Mtn/around ski, this one will do it all. I have skied in 6 and 8" powder and it does that exceedingly well, sure even deeper would be just fine. This photo was May 24, so fresh on a spring base, and varying wet and cutup down low. Fast and smooth all the way. This will be my next new ski.
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.