Black coffee, black humor, black ops, film noir -- the word suggests subtlety, sophistication, refinement. In the case of Dynafit's Blacklight series, the skis reach their most refined in the form of the Blacklight 88, which infuses a layer of Skimo Blue (guaranteed to make you faster) over the blacks and greys of the ski's carbon fiber layup. Much more responsive and easy-to-ski than its predecessor in the mid-fat category, the Carbonio 89, the Blacklight 88 may be at the top of the charts for rando-sophistication: a high-performance ski without the high-strung demeanor. Forget the chattery, squirrelly skis of yore; the Blacklight 88 wants to do what you tell it, whether tentatively testing the snow at the top of a chute or opening up high-speed turns all the way to the valley bottom. A generous 40cm of early rise in the tip means the ski won't balk at subbing in for a high-fat ski while racking up vert on a powder day, and 15cm tail rocker adds a more playful demeanor than for many in its width class. Still, don't mistake the Blacklight 88 for a noodly powder ski that only Rogers Pass and Little Cottonwood Canyon skiers would choose. Dynafit's athletes have been skiing the most demanding lines in the Alps and beyond for decades, and in turn they demand a confidence-inspiring edging platform with plenty of effective edge to grip the snow. With the stylish refinement of black meeting the energy of Skimo Blue, the Blacklight 88 is sure to be a stylish choice in all conditions.
- Dynafit's mountaineering-ski experience put to use in a wider, more versatile platform.
- 3D Sidewall/Cap Construction marries the low weight of a cap ski with the durability and strength of a partial sidewall.
- Paulownia Speed Core makes use of some of the lightest, strongest wood on the planet to dampen the ski.
- Unidirectional carbon layup is lighter than previous Dynafit iterations, but with a friendlier feel in choppy snow.
- More rocker-focused than its Blacklight siblings, the 88 still has plenty of camber underfoot and a long effective edge.
- Tip notch allows for use of Dynafit's Speedskin or your favorite fast-gliding race skin.
|Lengths (cm)||158, 165, 172, 178, 184|
|Weight (pair)||2126g |
|Turn Radius||15.5m 
|Skin Fix||Race-notched tips, notched flat tails|
|Profile||Light tip & tail rocker, camber underfoot|
|Shape||Tapered tip & tail, medium radius|
|Construction||3D sidewall cap|
|Core||Paulownia Speed Core|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Notes||Full Unidirectional carbon construction|
|Bottom Line||High end touring from Dynafit|
|Compare to other Mid-fat Skis|
Questions & Reviews
On the Dynafit site they list a 184 length as well, do you guys know if that is available and, if so, whether you’ll carry it?
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.