The Petzl Gully is the axe we’ve been wanting to see for a long time. It blends the minimalism of a lightweight axe with the features of a larger, heavier, more technical axe that can be necessary for successful objective completion. Multiple head options allow you to select the correct tool for the job. Take the hammer for more technical objectives or choose the adze for general mountaineering and expedition-style skiing. The steel pick has been shaped to increase clearance when you take a swing, but also to release easily while your heart rate is up allowing you to keep moving quickly. The teeth nearest the head have been cleverly removed so your gloves don’t slowly disintegrate while using it to plunge up a couloir. The hand rest is adjustable without tools to fine-tune your hand position, which affords some extra peace of mind when in terrain that could use some peace of mind. A plastic plug in the bottom of the shaft keeps snow from packing in and weighing down your flashy new gear, while the aluminum spike has been shaped to be as efficient as possible while plunging. Designed from the ground-up for technical ski mountaineering, the Gully is optimized for moving fast in the mountains. Sold individually.
- A featherweight competitor with the design of a heavy-weight hitter.
- Hand-rest features tool-less adjustment capabilities for increased versatility depending on the occasion.
- Partially toothless pick design increases the user-friendly nature.
- Plastic plug in the bottom of the shaft keeps real-world weight in the field to a minimum.
- Curved aluminum shaft with machined grip for increased self-arrest power and pick placement in steep or technical terrain.
- Compact enough to fit inside a pack which reduces chance of injury if you run out of cool points on the descent.
- Steel head increases durability for rock and hard ice.
- Hammer, adze, or both depending on your fancy.
- Light enough you might as well bring it.
- CE Certified.
Compare otherIce Axes
|Materials||Tempered steel head, 7075 aluminum handle.|
|Skimo Co Says|
|Usage||Ski mountaineering, alpinism, mountaineering|
|Notes||Steel head for long-term picking. Comes as Adze or Hammer|
|Bottom Line||Purpose-built for technical mountaineering and steep skiing.|
Questions & Reviews
The only downside in my opinion is the lack of a replaceable pick. Obviously that would add weight so it makes sense they did it but the natural progression would be the same weight with a replaceable pick (or lighter with non-replaceable!). I do use the pick weights to add swing weight and it takes some careful placement of the weight to avoid impeding on the umbilical clip holes in the head.
At 45cm and 289 grams these double nicely for trail running missions, light and short there is little to no swing weight.
These have become my new favorite, I never pick up my old glacier axe anymore.
Earn store credit by writing reviews. Learn more.